Saturday, January 16, 2010

Now the fun starts...

Today was among the most important days of my life thus far. Before
you can understand that statement let's look back to see why moving in
to my own apartment means so much. In May of 2007 I found myself
without a job. Prior to this time I'd had a dream for about 2 years.
Since my first visit, I'd always wanted to live in Las Vegas Nevada.
This time was different than the other times I'd been without a job. I
had some money this time. So I decided to move and a month and a half
later, I was here. I believe that if you can make a roadtrip in one
shot you should try so I'd driven 13 hours straight to get here.
Needless to say I was quite tired. I wanted to relax and sleep in a
nice bed so I went to a weekly hotel and registered. Another important
personality trait I have is that I don't like to move so even though I
was paying nearly $1000/ month I stayed there. I originally wanted to
start a business so as soon as I came I was looking for opportunities.
I didn't have much so I needed to make about 20% on my savings per
week to get by. Naturally that didn't happen so I was in a pretty bad
place financially in august. At this point I decide it's time to get a
job and luckily Vegas had about 4% unemployment at the time. At a job
fair I saw the job if ultamitly take. And I was there for 2 years. On
my 2 year anniversary I did something I think is very important. I
looked at my situation objectively and realized that I was in the same
place financially I was when I'd started. So I quit to focus on my own
business. I chose as my first enterprise a network marketing
opportuinty whereby people could accelerate debt repayment without
making drastic changes to their lifestyle. Unfortunately I misjudged
where the company was in terms of marketing strategy. They seemed to
be more interested in selling marketing materials to agents rather
than their product. I never made a single sale. When I'd quit my job,
I had FAR less resources than in '07 so I needed to make sales pretty
quickly to stay afloat. Remember I'm still paying nearly $1000/month
for rent so the situation was pretty dire. My lack of sales forced my
hand in that I was either going to become homeless or I had to move
back home to mom and dad. I chose to move. And 900 miles, and 18 hours
later I was home. Unfortunately I hadn't counted on one simple fact:
Its far easier to live at home at 20 than it is at 28. So I couldn't
stay. I made a call to a friend from my old job and I had a job. Also
he allowed me to stay with his family until I got back on my feet. So
I come back to the place I called home. That was on November 17th. I
worked, and saved, and I found myself ready to move out. I had wanted
to incorporate before I moved out but someone told the landlord that I
was staying off the lease. So here I am. After looking homelessness in
the eye, I am at my home. It's not in a fantastic part of town, and
it's far from new, but it is excatly what I was looking for. A roof
over my head, close to work, and most importantly, cheap! In fact this
place is less than half what I was paying. There's no furniture, no
tv, or Internet, and no cable but it's mine. And it allows me the
freedom to focus on my website without distraction. I'm home. Now the
hard work begins. Have a great night, and a great weekend. Thank you
for your time. And as I've said before, and proven today, I'm goin'
up! :) $$

No comments:

Post a Comment