Sunday, May 2, 2010

On to phase one

For the past month I've been working at a job I don't like. In fact
it's not much of a stretch to say I can't stand my job. So why do I go
in day after day? A while back I realized I couldn't continue to live
on what I had in the bank and excluding a miracle, I'd need to get a
job to pay my bills. (See http://bit.ly/d0Q7g6 for more) On Monday, I
will give my apartment manager a check and in return, I will be able
to stay in my apartment one more month. For the first time I had
thought fourth dimensionally(knowing what would happen in the future
and planning accordingly) and had my plan come to fruition. Phase 0 is
complete. I have a reasonably stable job, I can pay my bills, and I
can concentrate my spare time on what's next. So what's next? As I'm
sure you're aware, my idea to lease Apple technology to create an app
fell through. So at this point I face a question. What is the most
inexpensive way I can fund a business for myself? I'd asked this of an
entrepreneur I know and she said that if I can't supply something
required to get to the next step, find someone who can. And that's a
solid idea except for one minor issue. I've learned a few things
during my time in sales. One of the biggest is that you should always
negotiate from a postion of strength. And for the moment, I can't do
that. Any deal I'd make would place me solidly on the short end. So
for now, I'm going it alone. But how? Well, the site will cost me
about $8,000 to launch. That hasn't changed. And excluding a huge
gambling win, that's probably not a viable option for now. Another
option is to launch the app business. Of course the computer I'd
wanted originally is much more affordable at about $2,000 but is now
out of my price range. There is another computer in the Macintosh line
I could use. The Mac Mini is a very affordable option for me. I could
get one for less than a 64GB iPad. But there's a problem with the Mac
Mini. It's small. It's cute even. But it doesn't include anything
except a converter for a monitor. And the more I think about the idea,
the less appealing it seems. Especially when you consider that the
monitor, keyboard and mouse can quickly add up if purchased
separately. So I'm going to spend a bit more and go back to my
original plan. A fully loaded MacBook costs $999. I can probably get
one for less if I look for a used one but frankly, this project
requires me to think a bit more long term. Used MacBooks aren't
covered under warantee and won't get me any credit with Apple's
business plan. So in total my business will cost me $1,178.92 to
launch. The cost of a new MacBook, taxes, and iPhone SDK 4. But how?
That's a blowout week at work but in order to get it, we'd need to be
completly caught up with our bills. So at it's core work pays the
bills. That's it. So I need to come up with a way to make $1,178.92 as
soon as possible. But how? I have a tool I can use. eBay. I found out
today that eBay is a Fortune 500 company. So clearly people are making
a tremendous amount of money on the site and I'm next. So here's
what's going to happen: First I'm selling everything I don't need.
This will allow me to build up the necessary feedback to sell more
lucrative items. I know what you're thinking. And yes, I've been
saying that for some time but the reason why is I like my stuff. I
don't want to sell it. It's a heavy cost. But I pay it gladly. After
all, when I'm making a great income, I can buy more stuff. After this,
I'm going to start going around buying and selling whatever I can.
Once I get to about $1,200 it's on. Until then, thank you for your
time. I'm goin' up! :) $$

No comments:

Post a Comment