Thursday, July 1, 2010

A taste of things to come

Almost 3 months ago to the day, I wrote a post saying I knew that I
couldn't pay my rent for May. Because of this, I went back to work.
And since then I've been working to create the life I dream of. And
since then I've fallen flat on my face in the process. I've been at my
job for 13 weeks and in that time I've made a commission check 3
times. And of those none have been for more than $400. Last Saturday,
my boss told me the following: Have a minimum of $5,000 in setting
volume by next week or you're done. And lo and behold, it's Thursday
and I have NOTHING on the board. So barring a miracle, I'm going to be
fired on Saturday. Which is ok. I understand they aren't running a
charity. If I can't produce, they need to fill my desk with someone
who can produce. The fact is that although I can make sales, my heart
simply isn't in sales anymore. To see why I have to go back in time a
bit. Last March, I went to my local AT&T store to get an iPhone. This
was my first major step toward becoming a Nevada citezen. Not the
iPhone per se but a local number. Remember at this point I'd been at
my job for about 18 months. The fact is that for the first time I felt
that mabey I'd found a potential career. I didn't love sales but I
made ok money and I liked most of the people I worked with. After all,
two out of three ain't bad. For the first time I felt reasonably
secure in my job so I applied to get a house. And as I've covered
before that blew up in my face. This is without a doubt the most
important event in my life because I was enlightened. In order to live
the life I desire, I can't simply wait until I have a good week or
two, I can't try to save my way to financial security. If I'm to
create the life I want I have to go take it. Which brings me to the
here and now. I've been working since I quit my old job, a total of 10
months with one goal in mind. Financial freedom. It's become
abundantly clear to me that I can never achieve my goals in sales.
Therefore, I need a change. And starting next Monday everything will
change. I might even be leaving Las Vegas. Not drinking myself to
death, actually leaving the city. If the opportunity presents itself,
you never know. I'm actually excited for what's to come. Nervous yes,
but excited. It's a great time to be alive in America. So stay tuned.
Until next time, have a great July 4th weekend, be safe and remember,
I'm goin' up! :) $$

No comments:

Post a Comment