Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A life lesson in the FatBurger drive-thru

I've detailed my biography often enough to recap it fairly quickly. I
came to Vegas, played poker professionally, was the victim of too many
bad beats, started sales job etc. But I've left one detail out. Not
because I intentionally wanted to hide it, but because I didn't think
it important enough to include. I left Colorado Springs at night. Not
because I was running, or because I had anything to hide. Because I
wanted to traverse the desert while it's cool. During the trip I had a
major epiphany. Vegas is open 24/7 so why not offer a delivery service
that operates all day? I could get people anything they wanted, and
I'd charge a fee for the service. The drivers would make a small
salary and keep any tips the made. So during this trip that all I was
thinking about. The Las Vegas delivery service. When I came to town I
was excited to get started on making this dream come true. And for the
first time ever, I had the financial backing to do it. You see, I'd
come with $6,000. I went to the local SCORE office to see what I'd
would need to get started. I'd imagined a business plan, liability
insurance and some kids willing to work as 1099's. The nice gentleman
there said I could try to get this business started, but he'd never
seen it before. Because of that he didn't think my concept had much
chance. And I agreed with him. So I let my delivery business go. I
didn't give it much thought after that. For almost 3 years it was
little more than a dream, built upon sleep deprivation and road
hypnosis. Until Monday morning. My laundry was finally done and I was
anxious to go home and get it folded before it wrinkled. But I had a
passing thought. I hadn't had anything to eat since the night before
so I decided to get a bite. I have a craving for a chicken sandwich.
Despite never having had one. I pull in to the drive thru and I'm
stunned by what I see. It's a van from "Anything You Want Delivery
Service." In the FatBurger drive thru. At 4:30am Monday. My business
is in front of me. The same exact business I'd given up on because it
wasn't plausable enough. I look up the business online and they've
been in operation since 2008. How long I wonder until someone else
stumbles on my idea for 1every? Or the idea I had last Thursday? That
unfortunately isn't a matter of if but when. I learned what could be
the most important lesson of my entire life Sunday. You snooze, you
lose. I've listened long enough to the cynics and haters. Any fool can
think of a reason why a idea won't work. And I am no fool. At least
not anymore. No longer will I listen to anyone who says my ideas can't
work. The measure of an inventor isn't simply how many ideas he comes
up with. Heck, I've got enough theoretical inventions that I could
spend a dozen lifetimes developing them. The true measure of an
inventor is how many of his inventions come to market. It's not hard
to invent a lightbulb. The true genius of Edison was to devlop from
scratch the system of wiring and delivery to make his little lamp a
success. I've tweeted and posted enough about "then the fun part
starts." What I meant by that was that once I start marketing online
I'll spend a massive amount of time perfecting my portfolio. Very soon
(within the next few days) the fun part starts. One golden opportunity
slipping through my fingers is enough. I'm human. I will make
mistakes. That's the price of being my own boss. I understand that.
And I accept it. The key is to make sure I learn from my mistakes. And
I will never again make the mistake of listening to someone I am
blessed with the gift of invention. It's high time I use it. Take
care. Goin' up! :) $$

No comments:

Post a Comment