Thursday, April 15, 2010

It's more than a slogan

Every entrepreneur has that moment where they realize they can't or
won't work for someone else. Mine came in 2005. I can remember it
well. I was working at a plastic part manufacturing facility. I'd has
this job on and off for years. I'd been able to work myself up to a
wage I'd though at the time was respectable. $8.10/hr. Of course
that's really not good money at all but in the limited world I'd known
at the time it was ok. I had one goal while I was working there. I
wanted to be a mold tech. Not only did they command the princely sum
of $14/hr, they had a much more relaxed time. They didn't need to keep
up with a machine all day. And I felt like I was well suited to the
task. I've always been mechanically inclined so I'd ne a natural for
the job. At the time I didn't understand the finer points of office
politics required to be a success. I do now, I just don't want to do
it. So after three stints of employment, totalling more than two years
I'd been passed over for the promotion I'd wanted. It was a classic
catch 22. Before they'd consider letting me become a mold tech, I
needed experience. But in order to get the experience, I needed to be
able to learn. Long story short there's little chance I'd be a mold
tech in the next 5 years. One of the most important things about the
job was the ablilty to keep up with the machine. Parts tend to warp
when they're left where they land and that makes them unusable. So
it's very bad to fall behind. There was a project we were doing that
seemed to be kryptonite to me. Try as I might I could never keep up on
it. So one night, I was in the trying to get caught up when my boss
decided to yell at me for falling behind. I then back the injection
nozzle from the mold, empty the barrel of plastic, and shut the
machine off. After that day, I realized I could never be an employee
and be happy. 1600 days have passed since then. Yet I'm still working
for someone else. Why? The answer is simple. The grandest of
intentions are nothing compared to the simplest action. I've been
planning for a long while now and I think I'm finally ready to take
the first step. Within the next 24 hours I will be selling my first
items on eBay. Once I make my first profits online it's on. The simple
fact is that I've allowed myself to become complacent in just getting
by. My job won't ever pay for my business. It's unfortunate but it's
the truth. The leads just aren't good enough. After tomorrow, watch
out. This is just the start. Have a great night. And starting very
soon, I'm goin' up! :) $$

No comments:

Post a Comment