Saturday, April 17, 2010

What's in my wallet? Not Capital One:

I've gone in to detail about how I need to keep up on my bills. It's
important because I need good credit to get a decent discount rate
come time to set up 1every for customers. Knowing that, I've been very
diligent about keeping everything in order. Today that changed. I
decided to go eat lunch today for the first time in two weeks. I go to
my favorite restaurant and give the nice cashier my Capital One credit
card. A card I'd had for two years at this point. For the first time
since I was approved for my first card 8 years before, my card was
declined. But why? I called up and a women with a heavy Indian accent
answers saying her name is Ashley. She even fumbles the time of day
"how is your eveni--day going?" I ask why my card has $3 available
when it should be more than $50. After all, I paid the bill
electronically on the due date. She asks if I'm aware of the cutoff
time. I know what's happened. According to their standards, I've paid
the bill a few hours after a arbitrary time of the day. Keep in mind
the time isn't mentioned on the bill, only the date. So I've been
charged a past due fee, for a bill that was LESS THAN ONE DAY LATE!
Worse, the normal payment is roughly $20-$25. This month it's almost
$60. Remember I have an insurance payment and rent in the same time
period. I could have barely afforded to make the minimum payment and
their greed now means they get nothing. Want to screw me? Screw you. I
paid the bill on the day it was due and your greed ensures it will be
a very long time before you get your money. In short, what's in my
wallet? Not Capital One. Never again.

Stay tuned. In part two, I am going to explain how I will be modifing
my plans given the way Capital One threw a wrench in the plans I'd
had. Have a great day. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment